It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pm

new and old/updated bcm/cwm modules

The latest BC Modular news
  • Author

yayajohn

Re: new and old/updated bcm/cwm modules

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Roy. I was reading through all of those new modules on your site last night. Looks very interesting. They will keep me very busy for the next few weeks for sure. Thanks

cwmod

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 2:56 pm

thanks for your interest yayajohn. the last one (Synthpanel) is quite needless though as Will has released his new SSvst version which is absolutely brilliant.

yayajohn

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 9:19 pm

I will give that one a look as well. Thanks

JoPo

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 4:31 am

Woahrr ! I can see that the activity is not down round here !

:) Thanks a lot, Roy ! I don't find more word ! :D
I gonna try all this asap !

I noticed there is a lot of dezip modules... Could someone explain me what is "dezip" exactly ? Is it some kind of smooth module ? I never found any satisfaying clarification...

Merci à vous tous ! What a luck to have the benefit of your excellent work ! :P

jhulk

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am

a dezip is just that a control signal from midi can be a staircase linear line this adds zipper noise when you can hear that it steps through the changes

now a dezip smooths this signal from a stair case to a more linear line which changes the control so that its none zipper noise

in hardware they use lowpass filters to slew the output from a cvdac and sample and hold multiplexors for the same effect

dsp synths like the an1x by yamaha they did not implement dezip and you can hear the zipper when changing filter cutoff by the controllers but when the filter is controlled by the adsr it does not produce zipper noise this is because they use sample and hold multiplexers to sample the voltage from a pot this then gets sent as a digital signal to the cpu which tells the dsp that the control is changing

now if a dezip is not used on pitch bend control it sounds awful

but in a lot of the bcmodular control rangers like the control s this has a dezip built in also by setting limits on vcf controls to 16khz and having a dezip or control ranger with a smooth dezip function you can get much better control i find that limiting the filter to 16khz is good practice as most synths dont have that high a spectrum for 24khz and i find if you set it to 24khz the last 3rd of the control range does nothing so i find setting it to 16khz you get a more full range response

JoPo

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 12:37 pm

I see. Thanks for explaination !

I was close to the idea by saying it's a bit like a smooth control device !! :ugeek:

JoPo

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Roy ! I can already say that the free mod control curve (I'm not sure of its name !) is absolutely brilliant ! Especialy the blue color which indicate the value coming in ! :o

BUT ! As usual ..! I never have enough.... :mrgreen:
Do you think it would be possible to make such a drawing curve but with some handle to pull ... Hum ... I show you what I mean like in Kontakt :

I believe you know how it works : you can add points and pull on the handle to bend the curve.

It's just because it's very difficult to draw exactly what I want ! :oops:
Or the same drawing curve but with some kind of tools to draw perfectly... :mrgreen:

cwmod

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 am

Hi JoPo!
AFAIK we have no atoms in SDK to 'bend' curves.
What we do have is atoms for creating multi-level envelopes, like in the MSG envelope (no bending).
But alas, it has a serious bug because when you create a new EG point it's unlikely that you can recall that setting after reloading the patch or when using presets.
ModIV tried to fix this, but it didn't work out completely.
That's one thing in Scope that is missing.

JoPo

PostSat Nov 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Sorry to take so much time to answer !
I was almost sure of something like that, otherwise, we would have plenty of curves like that..

I hope this is another fixed thing for Scope 6 !
I just hope I'll not be too old when it'll be released. :mrgreen:

sharc

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 7:12 pm

jhulk wrote:in hardware they use lowpass filters to slew the output... but in a lot of the bcmodular control rangers like the control s this has a dezip built in

The BC Control Smooth modules and any other BC modules which have a 'Smoothing' option are synchronous and use a lowpass filter. They're good for smoothing signals where the control destination is sync, but they do use a little bit of DSP and care should be taken to switch them to single mode (via right-click on the module) whenever possible. The latest Control Ranger modules currently in development use dezip.

Dezip is asynchronous and tends to use less DSP. It works particularly well on async control destinations like gain/level controls. It can also of course be used for frequency controls. Which works best between dezip and smooth modules depends on the application.
PreviousNext

Return to Announcements