It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm

ScopeSync - Max For Live patches

The latest ScopeSync news
  • Author

w_ellis

Re: ScopeSync + Control Source

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Just a quick note to say that I'm aware of issues with stuck notes in the MIDI pass-through side of things, but sharc and I are working on a solution. Hopefully in the next few days we'll upload new versions of both sides of things to remove this issue.

petal

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 9:27 pm

ok - Noob question:

Where should I install the 3 files?

Thx for the effort!
Thomas

sharc

Site Admin

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 10:22 pm

The amxd files can be installed anywhere. I extracted the ScopeSync folder to my Ableton user library at this end, but they can even be dragged from into Live from an explorer window.

dante

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Awesome. So from a press hype perspective, the hook line could be something like

"Full Scope/DAW integration for Ableton Live users at a resolution that outperforms the old XTC mode".

Do Ableton users need to buy the extra Ableton layer, or the thingy that you made is a re distributable to all existing Live users ?

w_ellis

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 8:40 pm

I think you need to have a licensed copy of Max For Live (which is included in Ableton Live Suite) to use M4L devices. However, we are only really considering the M4L patch as a prototype really... a step on the road towards truly Better Control of Scope ;) We'll be looking at solutions that can work on all DAWs, probably via a VST plugin.

In response to your tagline re. XTC, I think what we're trying to do has some definite limitations vs. what XTC was trying to achieve at this stage and having not used XTC, I couldn't comment on the performance. One obvious difference is that we've mainly been targeting Instrument patches, rather than Effects. Ultimately we'd like to go beyond what XTC was capable of and put more flexibility in the hands of the user, especially when it comes to tying in nicely with external controllers, such as the BCR2000 and Ableton Push.

I think once it's fully working, it could be a pretty handy tool for a similar target audience as Silent Way, although again with different strengths.

At this stage, Scope devices would need to be recoded to make use of sharc's modules, but modular patches could quite easily be converted to use them, especially ones that are already using BCM modules.

sharc

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 8:58 pm

w_ellis wrote:I think you need to have a licensed copy of Max For Live (which is included in Ableton Live Suite) to use M4L devices.

+1 :)

sharc

Site Admin

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 am

dante wrote:Awesome. So from a press hype perspective, the hook line could be something like

"Full Scope/DAW integration for Ableton Live users at a resolution that outperforms the old XTC mode".

I wouldn't really see this as being directly comparable to XTC mode. It's not attempting full DAW integration like XTC. Like WIll said, it's possibly more along the lines of Silent Way.

I think one key difference is that where Silent Way is more of an audio rate modulation suite which can be treated like an external LFO (or envelope) within Modular patches, ScopeSync addresses the parameters directly. Parameters which were previously inaccessible from the DAW beyond the limited resolution of MIDI control can now be precisely automated. Regular MIDI CC's have a range of 128 values. 14 bit CCs give 16384 values. ScopeSync is currently capable of full 31bit control - that's 2147483648 values. If you want to set an exact frequency in Hz, level in dB or Time in milliseconds for example and have it automate to another precise setting over a period ScopeSync can do this.

Another benefit which Will touched upon is MIDI control. Because ScopeSync is a plugin running within the DAW, it benefits from the controller compatibility of the DAW. Whether you're using a Mackie Control, an OSC based touch screen controller or regular MIDI CC's if your DAW recognizes it and lets you control plugins with it then through ScopeSync you can use your controller at full resolution to control BC Modular.

w_ellis

PostSat Dec 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Apologies to anyone waiting for a fix to the MIDI stuck notes problem. I ran out of time to work on it this week and I'm off on holiday tomorrow. Hopefully should have some time when I'm back and would like to get it sorted before Christmas!

tgstgs

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 1:20 pm

sorry i don t get it_
you send data from 1 application (live or cubase) to another (scope);
using gui controls right;
why dont you use scope guicontrols;
youre using 32 bit audio to send a resolution of what . . . a few pixel on screen?
with just 16 bit data you would need a 65535 pixel screen_
maybe someone can explain in simple english??

??? vibes

w_ellis

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi Thomas,

Great to hear from you and sorry it's been a bit quiet on this stuff for a little while. I just got back from holiday earlier this week and it's a bit busy in the run up to Christmas.

The two main reasons we're pushing for higher resolution control are not about using GUI controls on screen:
a) Take more advantage of higher resolution MIDI controllers (e.g. the 14bit controllers on the BCR2000)
b) Smooth automation from DAWs

Admittedly, 31bit control itself has a fairly esoteric benefit, but there should be obvious and meaningful gains to be made from moving up a few bits from the 7-bit MIDI standard, particularly for filter sweeps and certain other parameters that are commonly automated. Also being able to target specific values more accurately is useful for precision settings like EQ frequencies or attack values for an ADSR.

Of course, we'd love any thoughts you have on all of this.

Thanks,
Will
PreviousNext

Return to Announcements