It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40 am

Blitzar is go! (ScopeSync 0.2-beta)

The latest ScopeSync news
  • Author

w_ellis

Blitzar is go! (ScopeSync 0.2-beta)

PostSun Aug 10, 2014 9:04 am

sharc and I are pleased to announce the second beta release of ScopeSync. The release can be downloaded from the shiny new release page on GitHub: https://github.com/bcmodular/scopesync/releases/tag/v0.2-beta.

Release notes

Highlights
Restructured code-base and moved onto public GitHub repository, so ScopeSync is now fully Open Source! Added Sliders tutorial and made minor enhancements and bugfixes. Updated Max For Live solution to be compatible with JUCE implementation.

In case you're wondering what's going on with the release naming: https://github.com/bcmodular/scopesync/blob/master/ReleaseNames.md

Instructions
Download https://github.com/bcmodular/scopesync/releases/download/v0.2-beta/scopesync-0.2-beta.zip (or clone the GitHub repository if you'd like to browse the Source Code). See Installation.rtf for details on how to install ScopeSync

Known Issues
  • Load Configuration file browser opens for a second time in the Scope module. Just cancel if you've already loaded your configuration.
  • Connecting the SS128A output connections directly to Async controls on BC Modular sometimes doesn't pass on values. If this happens, as a workaround, putting a CR Basic module in between resolves the issue.
  • Level (dB) controls need to be passed via a Control Ranger module as shown in the Sliders Tutorial patch
  • Some parameter values in the SS128A are not stored correctly in Presets.
  • VST3 support is experimental at this stage and has a limited feature set.
  • CP ↔ Host support is still experimental at this stage and the panel preset button doesn't receive feedback from the host shell.
Key feature enhancements
  • New mxj~ Max For Live external object that replaces MIDI pass-through with Audio In for parameter feedback from Scope
  • Max For Live example patches rebuilt as Max Audio Effects to make use of new mxj~ object
  • Changed SS128A BC Modular module to open basic loader GUI by default to avoid error messages
  • Enhanced support for Image Resources embedded into application (supporting standard plugin header)
  • User setting to disable Image Cache for streamlining layout design process
  • Added "system" LookAndFeels that are embedded into the application (also to support standard plugin header)
  • Sliders tutorial that demonstrates most LookAndFeel and layout options for Sliders (see screenshot below)
Bug fixes
  • Crash when clicking on slider with UI range that doesn't include 0
  • Rotary fill colour not being applied in LookAndFeel
  • EncoderSnap user setting not applied correctly
  • Rotary Sliders using filmstrip images not applying skew factor
  • Skew from Midpoint being set before UI ranges
Admin

sunmachine

Re: Blitzar is go! (ScopeSync 0.2-beta)

PostSun Aug 10, 2014 8:32 pm

COOL! :)
Hopefully, I'll have some time to try it this week.

Thanks!!

dawman

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 2:14 am

Should I buy Max4Live and Ableton Live to get the most from these?
I would love a reason to leave Reaper and Bidule, besides I have launching my own clips in Bidule lately using a QuNexus, which is a great tool alongside of the BCF 2000.

Thanks WIll and Sharc, this stuff is seriously ndeep, but I am willing to learn.

dawman

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 am

The Silentway style skins are cool, but the look and feel with images is so excellent,
truly keeps motivations high.
I'm a guy who enjoys thinking he is on hardware, and having such hardware looking
GUIs helps convince me I am in a real virtual world, if that makes any sense..?

x64 in Bidule seems to work w/o any trouble thus far.

imgupload

w_ellis

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 am

In our testing so far, the only DAW we've actually had any problems with is Ableton Live. The resolution of VST parameter automation doesn't seem to be as good as other DAWs. Reaper, for instance, is really smooth and I think Cubase is similar. It's a bit strange, as the Max For Live automation in Ableton is perfect.

We're going to continue to support the Max For Live tools that were in the first version of ScopeSync and they'll still have their uses, but I think the VST plugin version will have more universal appeal, especially since the same GUI can be displayed in both the DAW and Scope without extra design work.

Our plan is to get a user interface for editing parameters into the next version, so you won't have to get your hands dirty with XML files, unless you want to create your own GUIs. sharc and I already had some ideas about what skins you'd like to see on your plugins ;)

w_ellis

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 8:24 pm

In relation to the VST3 functionality, I've found a couple of issues that require changes to Juce:
http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/updatehostdisplay-vst3
http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/host-pa ... anges-vst3

At the moment, they're not at the top of our priority list, but just to let you all know that we're aware of the issues. If we make good progress on some of the other changes, I might have a look into what is involved in proposing the relevant Juce changes.

cwmod

PostTue Aug 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi Will and Simon,
I just checked the Sliders Demo - wow!
Great GUI graphics, esp. the 'Look and Feel images'.
As you already mentioned, parameter stepping is quite noticable in Ableton, so Ctrl Smoothers are needed.
Strange that this seems to be an Ableton only issue...Hopefully you can get around this!

w_ellis

PostTue Aug 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Yeah, sadly they're haven't budged on it since this discussion: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=189862

I have seen some positive noises out of very recent beta releases, but I'm not holding my breath. Interestingly, if you host the VST within a Max For Live patch using the vst~ object, it works fine. Also, the built-in Ableton effects don't have this problem.

dawman

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 am

Should I start a moron free thread somewhere else or is this thread OK for asking questions and posting some explanatory screenshots?

And I do have a question about adding a touch screen to control the Scope Sync GUI while performing.
The reason for that is to specifically control the modules inside of the BCM and Modular 8 x 8 shells separate from the BCF 2000 hardware that controls the hardware synths and mixing along with program change messages, etc.

I simply wish to reach over and have the touch screen capability since the ScopeSync GUI is so nice and big, it seems perfect.

Cheerz

w_ellis

PostWed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 am

Feel free to ask any questions here you like. We'll let you know if we think it's worth starting a new thread for any of them.

We're working hard to get more tutorials together and general help, as we know there's a lot to get your head around with it. For now we've been quite focused on the front-end design part, which is probably less interesting to you, but next will be setting up parameters and mappings.

Re. touch screen interfaces, there's already one easy option you could try, which is setting up TouchOSC via Reaper. There's a good setup guide here: http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-setup-reaper. I had a go with it a little while back and it automatically makes VST parameters available on iPad and iPhone (as well as Android tablets and phones now). Let me know if you get stuck trying to get it set up and I'll put together a walkthrough.

Adding OSC support is high on our priority list, which would mean being able to control the Scope UI directly from TouchOSC (+ Lemur etc.), rather than having to go via a DAW.
Next

Return to Announcements