It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 am

Blue Dwarf (ScopeSync 0.3-beta)

The latest ScopeSync news
  • Author

w_ellis

Re: Blue Dwarf (ScopeSync 0.3-beta)

PostWed Oct 15, 2014 4:11 pm

All's well that ends well, as they say :) Strange that the other stuff started working though... no idea how that could be related.

cwmod

PostWed Oct 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Bulletproof software that's what it is.
another advantage : VST resolution IMHO is better than Max.
VST:
Max:

edit:
ok after testing Max vs Vst by controlling Lp cutoff I think regarding resolution there is no audible difference.
raw:
SSMax
SSVst
with var dezip:
SSMax
SSVst

cwmod

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi Will,
I can't get the BCR buttons to work with Ableton automation.
As soon as you select a rotary controller, it's name appears in Ableton's Automation Control Chooser - perfect. But this doens't work with buttons.
Maybe I have to edit something in Configuration manager?

w_ellis

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi Roy,

I didn't even know you could do that in Ableton :) I think it must be down to the Change Gesture stuff (http://www.juce.com/api/classAudioProce ... daf61cf385) that is implemented for Sliders (i.e. knobs) and not for Buttons. If you click "Configure" in the Ableton VST window and then click on a button, that will add it to the automation list.

I'll add it to the Github issues list and will investigate a bit further when I get a chance, as it may be possible to fool Ableton into doing the same for Buttons. You can subscribe to updates to this issue, if you're interested in following any progress: https://github.com/bcmodular/scopesync/issues/51

Btw. if you didn't know about it already, you should consider adding -_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=-1 to your Options.txt file for Ableton. That will automatically populate your automation list for VST plugins with the first 128 parameters they make available. For more info on how to set that up, see here: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/opt ... file-live/

Thanks,
Will

cwmod

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 4:57 pm

thanks for the tip!
however, after adding PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=-1 to to options.txt I get this weird parameters at the bottom of the parameter list:
parameters 97-105 (buttons I think) appear two times - with and w/o hash.
don't know if this is critical or not.

As I'm always short of controllers, I would be glad to have the option also to use the buttons.
I've not tested the encoder buttons, but I think it will be the same issue?

w_ellis

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 5:23 pm

These are a necessary evil, unfortunately. DAWs and hosts don't like the number of parameters to change after a plugin has been loaded, so we always tell them that we have 128 parameters, even if we actually have fewer. This allows us to change configuration for the plugin between variants that have different numbers of automatable parameters. The ones with the # symbol can be safely ignored and they'll always appear at the bottom of the list. This shouldn't be too much of an issue in practice, as I'd expect people to be naming their parameters appropriately.

The Encoder Buttons will work exactly the same as the other buttons, they're just pretending to be Encoders :)

w_ellis

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Having said that, I'm not sure why you're getting the parameters without # at the bottom of the list in that screenshot. When I load the standard BCR2000 and BCF2000 I don't get any proper parameters after the ones with #.

Which version of Live are you using? I'm on Live 9.

w_ellis

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 5:27 pm

I don't see that in Live 8 either... strange!

cwmod

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 pm

maybe I've loaded different versions of BCR configurations in Ableton and Scope? I can't remember.
but this leads me to another question:
when editing the config in VST, do I have to load the same in Scope?
what role does the Scope config play anyway?
as I can see, it isn't updated, but works nevertheless.

w_ellis

PostSat Oct 18, 2014 10:02 am

cwmod wrote:when editing the config in VST, do I have to load the same in Scope?

It's certainly designed to allow you to share a configuration between the VST and the Scope module and this is probably how it will most commonly be used. However, there's nothing stopping you using different configurations. For instance you could use configurations with the same parameters, but where the Scope panel shows a device-specific layout and the VST shows one that relates to a MIDI controller.
cwmod wrote:what role does the Scope config play anyway?

You don't need to use a VST at all. You can just load (and edit) a configuration in Scope if you want and then later use it in the VST if you choose. There are features in the system that allow some differentiation between the two, e.g. you can set displaycontext="host" or displaycontext="scope" for a widget in a layout to exclusively show it in one or the other. Another example is the dB reference-based skew, which is specifically for the communication with Scope vars. There is also the Scope Local set of 16 parameters, which aren't sent over the ScopeSync link, or displayed in the VST.
cwmod wrote:as I can see, it isn't updated, but works nevertheless.

You will definitely need to reload your updated configuration manually in Scope, if you've edited it in the VST (or vice versa) and want to see the updates. Actually, I guess we could implement something that listens for changes to the configuration file and auto-updates, although we'd definitely want to make that optional.

P.S. You might also be interested in this idea we're thinking of putting in a bit later: https://github.com/bcmodular/scopesync/issues/34
PreviousNext

Return to Announcements