It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:49 am

Usamo

This is the place to chat if you need any help using BC Modular
  • Author

JoPo

Usamo

PostSun May 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi !
I just bought a usamo box to say goodbye to midi jitter.. It's fantastic !!

I spend all the afternoon to make testing. And after all those test, I conclude (from PlanetZ thread http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... 9&start=20 see last post on 2° page) :
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now, I made some timing test regarding midi cc and the result is totaly different ! It's not jitter free at all ! There is a timing random before or after the midi CC. I compared that to normal sequencer midi input and it's a lot worse ! So the usamo is more accuracy with midi CC but it's really really not precise. I must conclude that midi CC are not managed very well in Scope.
And I conclude also that midi note data are very accurate, so, it would be brilliant to use note data to control parameters when huge accuracy is needed.

Ooops ! The midi cc test was done in a modular with a BC sync fader.. I wanted to try the S|C "constant val" fader... And the result is .... PERFECT timing, exactly like midi notes ! :-?

And with BC async fader, the timing is a nit better but far from perfect.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I din't want to hurt nobody, it's just the result of the tests I did. Those tests were simple : I have a -0.5db sine 10s sound file and I gate its sound signal via a modular with vca. I control the vcas with adsr EG & midi notes, BCmodular sync & async faders or 'normal' modular 'constant val' faders. Then, I record the modular output on an audio track, this allows me to compare the time between the sended midi data and the start or end of sound on the audio track. With the usamo, the latency is 3.12ms exactly, all the time : no drift or random.

I wanted you to know the result of those tests. I'm sure it's better to be aware of that, even if it's not the best for BCmodular, otherwise, how could one improve things ?
How that weird result is possible ? What difference is there between those faders ?

Anyway... Usamo worth it !! It's amazing !

sharc

Site Admin

Re: Usamo

PostMon May 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Interesting. Give this one a try when you get time.
Attachments
Constant Val Basic.zip
(27.89 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

JoPo

Re: Usamo

PostMon May 16, 2016 9:05 pm

I get the same result.. Listen to the 2 little mp3, one with the module you left here , the 2° with modular 'constant val' module. It's 117bpm, I send 127 value on 1/16, then 0 value on 2/16 and so on.
I don't know why the attack is smoothed like that on the S|C one nut it's late and I must go... Anyway, you'll hear a big timing difference. Maybe you can do the test ? Why would I be the only one to get that ? :?

I can make any test you wish, if you need.
Midi time.rar
(62.76 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

The modular was controled via sequencer midi source.

Return to Support